National Professional Standards for Teachers ( NPSTs ).
Government of Pakistan is committed to improving the quality of education which depends upon the quality of teacher education. To enhance the quality of teachers, National Professional Standards for Teachers (NPSTs) were developed by Policy and Planning Wing, Ministry of Education, Government of Pakistan in February 2009 with the technical support of UNESCO and financial support of USAID under Strengthening Teacher Education in Pakistan (STEP) project.
- The NPSTs were officially adopted by representatives of the provinces/ areas in the National Steering Committee meeting in
- These were basically meant for primary level beginning teachers, but are now also being used for prospective teachers, secondary teachers and teacher educators
Each standard has THREE parts:
- Knowledge and understanding (content): What teacher knows
- Dispositions: Behaviors, attitude and values
- Performances and skills: What teacher can do and should be able to do
Standard-1: Subject Matter Knowledge
1-A: Knowledge and Understanding: Teachers know and understand:
- in depth knowledge of the subject matter
- The national curriculum framework
- Basic concepts, theories, history of the subject
- The new emerging concepts, results of researches and latest trends at national and international levels.
- The relationship of the subject to other disciplines and its usability in practical life
1-B Dispositions: Teachers give value and are committed to:
- Facilitate learners through multiple ways in acquiring and construction of knowledge.
- Make knowledge applicable to real world situations.
1-C: Performance and Skills: Teachers demonstrate knowledge & understanding through:
- Effectively explaining the content in multiple perspectives.
- Giving examples of application of the content from practical life.
Standard-2: Human Growth and Development
2-A: Knowledge and Understanding: Teachers know and understand:
- How students construct knowledge, acquire skills and develop habits of mind.
- Individual differences among students.
- Diverse style of learning.
- Motivational strategies to achieve and perform excellently.
|Previous Page||Next Page|